What Does Engine Oil Do and Why is It Important?
If you own a car, then you’ve probably heard about the importance of regular oil changes. Most modern vehicles should be getting their oil changed every 5,000 to 7,500 miles.
But why is clean, fresh motor oil so essential for your vehicle’s wellbeing, and what exactly does it do?
The highly-trained master technicians at Bravos Auto Care in San Antonio, Texas, are here to explain everything you need to know.
What Does Motor Oil Do?
The primary function of engine oil is to keep all the components of your engine sufficiently lubricated to reduce friction, overheating, and wear and tear. However, it does far more than just that.
The five main tasks of engine oil include:
- Reduces wear and minimizes friction by keeping all engine parts thoroughly lubricated
- Ensures your engine stays clean by preventing contaminants from adhering to engine parts
- Keeps your engine cool to prevent overheating
- Cushions the blow of mechanical shocks
- Prevents corrosion
As you can see, engine oil does much work to keep your car in tip-top shape. You can help it do its job more efficiently by regularly changing the oil.
Do I Need an Oil Change?
If you’ve been driving your car for long periods between tune-ups, you might need an oil change. Some signs that you should bring your vehicle to our repair shop for an oil change right away include:
- An extremely noisy engine, including knocking sounds
- Excessive visible exhaust
- Falling or low oil levels
- Gritty oil texture
- Illuminated check engine light
- Ticking sounds when starting your car
If you notice any of the aforementioned red flags, it’s time to schedule an oil change.
San Antonio’s Trusted Car Care Experts
Call the experienced technicians at Bravos Auto Care in San Antonio, Texas, today if you need an oil change. With over 20 years of experience, our family-owned car care center offers fast, reliable, and affordable services. To schedule your appointment, call us today at (210) 530-4446. We look forward to seeing you soon!